Yiannis Issaris is a Marine Ecology Research Associate at the Hellenic Centre for Marine Research (HCMR), a PhD candidate of Marine Ecology at the Department of Biology of the University of Athens and an acclaimed underwater photographer and videographer.
His doctoral research is focused on developing new techniques for underwater visual surveys of marine organisms and specifically addressing detectability issues that affect the accuracy of range and abundance estimations. He has extensive working experience on fine and medium-scale habitat mapping, GIS cartography, monitoring populations of marine benthic and benthopelagic species, and on various underwater sampling techniques with SCUBA diving. He is an expert scientific diver with deep water mixed gas qualifications and a founding member of the HCMR Scientific Diving Team.
Yiannis' photo work has been published in numerous newspapers, books and magazines, and his photos have been used for the production of stamps by the Hellenic Postal Service (ELTA). He has been awarded twice by one of the most prestigious wildlife photography competitions in the world (European Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2009, 2011 & 2012 - International Photography Awards 2012). He has also worked as prime underwater videographer for various documentaries broadcasted by Greek and German TV networks (ET1, SKAI, NDR).
PhDc Marine Ecology, University of Athens
BSc Marine Sciences, University of the Aegean (2005)
2014-2017: Marine Ecology Research Associate, Institute of Oceanography/HCMR
2013-2014: Marine Ecology Research Associate, Institute of Marine Biology and Genetics/HCMR
2009-2013: PhD Fellow, Institute of Marine Biological Resources/HCMR
2008-2009: Underwater Videographer and Scientific Advisor, Olyvon productions, Athens
2006-2008: Marine Environmental Impact Assessment consultant, freelancer
2006-today: Underwater Photographer/Videographer, freelancer
Yiannis Issaris’ research interests are focused around the field of Marine Conservation Ecology, and specifically in population ecology and dynamics of benthic communities, monitoring of endangered and/or protected marine species, evaluating the effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas and Marine Reserves. He is also interested in the study of Mediterranean mesophotic reef ecosystems with deep scientific diving techniques, as well as the general cataloguing and conservation of Mediterranean marine biodiversity.
- Buhl-Mortensen L, Galparsoro I, Vega Fernández T, Johnson K, D'Anna G, Badalamenti F, Garofalo G, Carlström J, Piwowarczyk J, Rabaut M, Vanaverbeke J, Schipper C, van Dalfsen J, Vassilopoulou V, Issaris Y, van Hoof L, Pecceu E, Hostens K, Pace ML, Knittweis L, Stelzenmüller V, Todorova V, Doncheva V, 2017. Maritime ecosystem-based management in practice: Lessons learned from the application of a generic spatial planning framework in Europe. Marine Policy 75: 174–186.
- Salomidi M, Giakoumi S, Gerakaris V, Issaris Y, Sini M, Tsiamis K, 2016. Setting and ecological baseline prior to the bottom-up establishment of a marine protected area in Santorini Island, Aegean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science 17(3): 720–737.
- Tsiamis K, Salomidi M, Kytinou E, Issaris Y, Gerakaris V, 2016. On two new records of rare Cystoseira taxa (Fucales, Pheaophyceae) from Greece (Eastern Mediterranean). Botanica Marina 59(1): 73–77.
- Baggini C, Issaris Y, Salomidi M, Hall-Spenser JM, 2015. Herbivore diversity improves benthic community resilience to ocean acidification. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 469: 98-104.
- Gerovasileiou V, Chintiroglou CC, Vafidis D, Koutsoumbas D, Sini M, Dailianis T, Issaris Y, Akritopoulou E, Dimarchopoulou D, Voultsiadou E, 2015. Census of biodiversity in marine caves of the eastern Mediterranean Sea. Mediterranean Marine Science 16(1): 245-265.
- Gerovasileiou V, Voultsiadou E, Issaris Y, Zenetos A, 2015. Alien biodiversity in Mediterranean marine caves. Marine Ecology 37(2): 239-256.
- Katsanevakis S, Acar U, Ammar I, Balci BA, Bekas, P, Belmonte M, [...], Issaris Y, Izquierdo-Gomez, D, et al., 2014. New Mediterranean Biodiversity Records (October 2014). Mediterranean Marine Science 15(3): 675-695.
- Siokou I, Ates AS, Ayas D, Ben Souissi J, Chatterjee T, Dimiza M, Durgham H, Dogrammatzi K, Erguden D, Gerakaris V, Grego M, Issaris Y , Kadis K, Katagan T, Kapiris K, Katsanevakis S, Kerkhof F, Papastergiadou E, Pesic V, Polychronidis L, Rifi M, Salomidi M, Sezgin M, Triantaphyllou M, Tsiamis K, Turan C, Tziortzis I, D' Udekem D' Acoz C, Yaglioglu D, Zaouali J, Zenetos A, 2013. New Mediterranean Marine biodiversity records (June 2013). Mediterranean Marine Science 14(1): 238-249.
- Salomidi M, Katsanevakis S, Issaris Y , Tsiamis K, Katsiaras N, 2013. Anthropogenic disturbance of coastal habitats promotes the spread of the introduced scleractinian coral Oculina patagonica in the Mediterranean Sea. Biological Invasions 15(9): 1961-1971.
- Issaris Y, Katsanevakis S, Pantazi M, Vassilopoulou V, Panayotidis P, Kavadas S, Kokkali A, Salomidi M, Frantzis A, Panou A, Damalas D, Klaoudatos D, Sakellariou D, Drakopoulou V, Kyriakidou C, Maina I, Fric J, Smith C, GIakoumi S, Karris G, 2012. Ecological mapping and data quality assessment for the needs of ecosystem-based marine spatial management: case study Greek Ionian Sea and the adjacent gulfs. Mediterranean Marine Science 13(2): 297-311.
- Giakoumi S, Katsanevakis S, Vassilopoulou V, Panayotidis P, Kavadas S, Issaris Y, Kokkali A, Frantzis A, Panou A, Mavromati G, 2012. Could European marine conservation policy benefit from systematic conservation planning? Aquatic Conservation: Marine and Freshwater Ecosystems, DOI: 10.1002/aqc.2273.
- Issaris Y, Katsanevakis S, Salomidi M, Tsiamis K, Katsiaras N, Verriopoulos G, 2012. Occupancy estimation of marine species: dealing with imperfect detectability. Marine Ecology Progress Series 435: 95-106, DOI: 10.3354/meps09668.
- Katsanevakis S, Weber A, Pipitone C, Leopold M, Cronin M, Scheidat M, Doyle TK, Buhl-Mortensen L, Buhl-Mortensen P, D'Anna G, de Boois I, Dalpadado P, Damalas D, Fiorentino F, Garofalo G, Maximiliano Giacalone VM, Hawley KL, Issaris Y, Jansen J, Knight CM, Knittweis L, Kröncke I, Mirto S, Muxika I, Reiss H, Skjoldal HR, Vöge S, 2012. Monitoring marine populations and communities: review of methods and tools dealing with imperfect detectability. Aquatic Biology 16: 31-52, DOI: 10.3354/ab00426.
- Katsanevakis S, Poursanidis D, Issaris Y, Panou A, Petza D, Vassilopoulou V, Chaldaiou I, Sini M, 2011. “Protected” marine shelled molluscs: thriving in Greek seafood restaurants. Mediterranean Marine Science 12(2): 429-438.
- Katsanevakis S, Issaris Y, Poursanidis D, Thessalou-Legaki M, 2010. Vulnerability of marine habitats to the invasive green alga Caulerpa racemosa var. cylindracea within a marine protected area. Marine Environmental Research 70: 210-218.
- Katsanevakis S, Poursanidis D, Issaris Y, Tsiamis K, Salomidi M, Maroulakis M, Kytinou E, Thessalou-Legaki M, Zenetos A, 2010. The invasive crab Percnon gibbesi (Crustacea: Decapoda: Plagusiidae) is spreading in the Aegean and Ionian Seas. Marine Biodiversity Records 3: e53.
- Salomidi M, Zibrowius H, Issaris Y, Milionis K, 2010. Dendrophyllia in Greek Waters, Mediterranean Sea, with the first record of D. ramea (Cnidaria, Scleractinia) from the area. Mediterranean Marine Science 11(1): 189-194.
- Issaris Y, Katsanevakis S, 2010. Non destructive Distance Sampling surveys for population density and abundance estimations of benthic fauna. 39th CIESM Congress, Venice, Italy, 10-14 May 2010.
- Issaris Y, Katsanevakis S, Panou A, 2009. Estimating population density and abundance of the protected seahorse species Hippocampus hippocampus and H. guttulatus in northeastern Korinthiakos Gulf. 11th International Congress on the Zoogeography and Ecology of Greece and Adjacent Regions, Irakleio, Greece, 21-25 September 2009.